1994-02-28 - Re: standard for stegonography?

Header Data

From: mgream@acacia.itd.uts.edu.au (Matthew Gream)
To: sergey@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu (Sergey Goldgaber)
Message Hash: 3352c95a6f408bd7dbd576bc8584d7780eac7335e5f35fd9d53bf393d710afcd
Message ID: <9402282245.AA27627@acacia.itd.uts.EDU.AU>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9402281554.A10807-0100000@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-28 22:43:21 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 14:43:21 PST

Raw message

From: mgream@acacia.itd.uts.edu.au (Matthew Gream)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 14:43:21 PST
To: sergey@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu (Sergey Goldgaber)
Subject: Re: standard for stegonography?

Earlier, Sergey Goldgaber wrote:

> Didn't you mention something along the lines of hiding "---BEGIN PGP" headers
> by using one-time pad encryption?  Or did I wildly misinterpret you?

No. I said that, and I was referring to the case where you have a particular
stegonographic technique such as pixel modulation, it could be an idea to
place an encrypted header using something like IDEA in CFB that not only
encrypts a signature but an identifier so as to know which program actually
did the stego, and hence be able to demodulate with that particular
technique. Therefore if you had seperate programs, each could interoperate.

Even though the essense of stego is to not know a message is hidden in a
particular medium, whenever specific software comes out to do certain stego
(jpegs etc), I can see NSA spooks adding it onto their short list of s/ware
to run across any pictures they get. Stego becomes sort of pseudo-Stego and
loses a certain amount of gain it once had (of course, if all you do is
Stego an encrypted file without any structure, it'll be safe).

My 5c.

Matthew.
--
Matthew Gream. ph: (02)-821-2043. M.Gream@uts.edu.au.
PGPMail and brown paperbags accepted. - Non Servatum -

Thread