1994-02-04 - REMAILERS: Netcoms Policy and hazards to remailers

Header Data

From: nobody@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 36ee696fce6c99b5d39ddf1699570b5d5b200e181700f8b75f576bd893a71a72
Message ID: <199402041921.LAA06512@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 11:25:15 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@shell.portal.com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 94 11:25:15 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: REMAILERS: Netcoms Policy and hazards to remailers

An issue arose today with Netcoms
DASD migration... My Account was moved from /ux/accountname
to /uxx/accountname, which caused my .forward file to begin bouncing
mail. Netcoms sysadms promptly moved my .forward to
.forard.bak to eliminate the bounces and notified me via
the now working mail. During my conversation with the admin I asked specifically
what Netcoms policy vis-a-vis ECPA, search warrants, and
warrantless requests from Law enforcement of any kind for
both e-mail in transit and stored files.. The
answer was as it should be. A "proper" search arrant would
be required prior to cooperation with LE. Netcom as a policy
ill NOT provide ANY materials other than account name
without a search warrant, unless an account on netcom
is used to crack another site and netcom is liable(
in which case they will file a complaint and give cooperation
to investigating officers.) a warrant is required for release.
The subject of remailer and crypto out of a netcom account didnt
elicit any comment from the sysadmin...)
Tomorrow I will call and ask specifically on that area...

  anon

Thread