1994-02-21 - Gun conversion info banne

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 37130790ca579d36a5b7c9f810a74aa3765cddf7e69c91265121e07943d30720
Message ID: <199402212344.AA25635@panix.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Feb 94 15:44:34 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 94 15:44:34 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Gun conversion info banne

M >Has this law ever been challenged in court? I doubt if it would stand
M >up, as long as the books are written as "here's how one would..."
M >rather than actively encouraging you to do it. Technical information
M >cannot be banned, as long as you aren't inciting violence.
M >
M >--- Mike

Sorry I'm years behind in my list reading...

Mike, recall the precedents.  FDA burning of Reich's books in the '50s as
"labeling for an unlawful medical device" -- the Orgone Accumulator.
Likewise FDA seizures of Scientolgy literature in the '60s as "labeling
for an unlawful medical device" -- E-meters.  Then there are the moves
against vitamin literature in recent FDA raids.  I don't think the courts
have ever faced the specific issue of regulatory censorship.

DCF

Then there's the time in the early '80s when the Consumer Products Safety
Commission banned the "Button Book."
--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread