1994-02-26 - I have FOIA`d the Clipper

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 37e78b18f00b43d3ec2fc6b4b6a4efb746346ba3f24b537aade685f799cfa828
Message ID: <199402261859.AA04437@panix.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 11:00:17 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 11:00:17 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: I have FOIA`d the Clipper

G >There appears to be no FOIA exemption that would justify withholding
G >the key escrow databases which Treasury and NIST are building.  (The
G >keys are not tied to any individual, so individual privacy isn't a
G >valid exemption.  The database isn't classified.  Etc.) I have asked
G >for a copy of each database, in toto.

What a great move.  And I always considered FOIA requests a waste of time.
 This will at least *really* amuse the recipients.

This raises a further thought though.  Since it is easier to FOIA federal
records that pertain to oneself, couldn't anyone who acquires a piece of
"Clipped" telecoms equipment file a request for his *own* keys.  I guess
you can capture the LEEF/LEAF in encrypted form and submit a printout of
it with your letter.

Maybe we could set up a server to help encourage people to
generate FOIA requests.

DCF

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread