1994-02-15 - Re: Clipper and Traffic Analysis

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: “rudy (r.) rawlins” <rudy@bnr.ca>
Message Hash: 3c5f1b00e3bc8c23a74036e4151a84a24d673eed88f514e33f8a4f6a9d82f883
Message ID: <9402151935.AA25583@andria.lehman.com>
Reply To: <“2152 Tue Feb 15 13:25:01 1994”@bnr.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-15 19:41:46 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 11:41:46 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 11:41:46 PST
To: "rudy (r.) rawlins" <rudy@bnr.ca>
Subject: Re: Clipper and Traffic Analysis

"rudy (r.) rawlins" says:
> > Normally, one can only determine the endpoints of a conversation. With
> > clipper, however, one can deduce a lot more, since when people move
> > around, go to hotels, phone booths, etc, you can still track their
> > clipper serial numbers.
> >
> > Perry
> >

> Maybe we are missing something here, when people move around if they
> simply use their hotels phones, phone booths, et al, how can one track
> their clipper serial number? Unless there is a personal Clipper serial
> number? I do not see any extra info being garnered from Clipper phones,
> just less.

Perhaps this is not obvious to others, so I'll be more explicity. If
you use a clipper phone at home, the cops can determine your serial
number by tapping your line. Then, if you take your phone with you
(the little portable AT&T "bump in a cord" is designed for this)
everywhere you go you are signaling where you are.

Perry

Thread