1994-02-11 - Re: List of forbidden mathematics?

Header Data

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 45a3b7aeecc4641b838f031ffccd4bd25a52975d48bf9e4bc632c4c38f5d34c3
Message ID: <9402112253.AA24576@toad.com>
Reply To: <199402111940.LAA01150@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-11 23:00:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Feb 94 15:00:38 PST

Raw message

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 94 15:00:38 PST
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: List of forbidden mathematics?

> From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
> Do any of you have a current list of banned mathematics topics handy?
> I was reading a number theory book (Rosen) and got worried that I
> might be stumbling into some of the areas forbidden to private
> citizens.

Goodness, Tim, our government would never forbid mathematics to its
citizens.  No, you simply require the appropriate licence to legally
work with the algorithms in question.  Of course, these days it's
rather difficult to get a research permit for Schedule I math -- you
generally have to work for NSA.

an up-to-date list of the Schedules.  What you can do is start with
the Controlled Algorithms Act of 1970, and work forwards from there.
Keep an eye on the Federal Register for recent schedulings.

   Eli   ebrandt@jarthur.claremont.edu
	 PGP 2 ke^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

Thread