1994-02-26 - Magic Money Comments

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4fdf2271ce87bfff1c4064d19cb0507060f9b45bcdb774deffd625ffde71710e
Message ID: <199402260907.BAA26825@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 01:06:15 PST

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 01:06:15 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Magic Money Comments

Pr0duct Cypher at remailer@merde.dis.org wrote:

>> There is no prototype for pgp_randombyte.

> There is a prototype for it in pgptools.h

Yes, but it needs to say "byte pgp_randombyte(void);" instead of
just "byte pgp_randombyte();".

>> Complete prototypes for (*output) and (*lookup) need to be
>> provided in the function header of pgp_check_sigs and also for a
>> different function pointer (*output) used in PGPKGEN.

> Is this bad? I thought a function pointer didn't really
> care, as long as you called it correctly.

No - it is fine.  This is simply a list of what it takes to
eliminate all warnings from Borland.  It is certainly ok not
to do this.  Even PGP generates quite a few warnings while
compiling.

> MPILIB has not been altered. It is the same as in PGP.
> PLATFORM appears to set the appropriate modmult, but I
> usually define UPTON because SMITH has given me some
> problems in the past.

Yes - I didn't notice all the various knobs and dials in
PLATFORM.H until after I wrote that message.  I needed to
define a few more things.

> What are you running, a Cray? My machine takes quite a few
> seconds to run the server.

I am running on a 33 mhz 486.  While MPILIB does indeed take
seconds to perform the required arithmetic, it builds its
operations from an O(N^2) multiply algorithm.  A "fast"
algorithm would speed things up considerably.

> I hate error checking. If I put in safe read and write
> calls, what do I do if they fail?

Just exiting with an error message would be fine.

> Thanks for pointing out that bug, and especially for
> setting up a Magic Money server.

You are welcome.  I'm not sure I have actually set up a
server aside from the purpose of exercising the code for a
few days.  Hopefully others will grab the executables and do
something a bit more permanent.

--
     Mike Duvos         $    PGP 2.3a Public Key available    $
     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread