1994-02-17 - Re: The Sociology of UNSUBSCRIBING

Header Data

From: sdw@meaddata.com (Stephen Williams)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 525840fea926df0ef5ba5d15555bf548f93bbabb1082fc9d71ddb3003c011b3f
Message ID: <9402172305.AA23457@jungle.meaddata.com>
Reply To: <199402172033.MAA24851@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-17 23:10:51 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 15:10:51 PST

Raw message

From: sdw@meaddata.com (Stephen Williams)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 15:10:51 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)

> About half a dozen messages like this one are posted here every week:
>
> > PLEASE READ!  (sorry to shout)

> Despite this, every day there are several "Unsubscribe me, NOW!"
> messages, with various degrees of politeness.
>
> Folks, I am not going to repeat the instructions again. This is
> becuase of the following conclusions I have reached:

I've seen before, and if I breakdown and write my own software I'm
going to improve on, mailing list software that refuses to send
messages to the list that look suspicious.  Rules like:

<3 lines non-blank body, occurance of remove, me, unsubscribe, help,
subscribe, etc.

These generate a message giving details, and of course you could even
guess what the person wanted.

Looks like a necessary evolution in net software...

I typically try reasonable auto commands for a new mailing list until
I know there's a person there.

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: sdw@lig.net sdw@meaddata.com

Thread