1994-02-22 - Gun conversion info banne

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 6894470fb4e6caeb6743fa253aabdc6189b8552bb732ddd84483107fb7ecf6ba
Message ID: <199402221115.AA12424@panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 03:15:26 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 03:15:26 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Gun conversion info banne

To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com

S.> Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com> writes:
S.>Then there's the time in the early '80s when the Consumer Products
S.>Safety
S.>Commission banned the "Button Book."
S.>
S.>Query:
S.>	What pray is the "Button Book".
S.>

Readers may recall that many years ago, their parents gave them this book
that had, attached to its pages, all sorts of fastening devices.  The
Button Book had cardboard pages with shoelaces, zippers, buttons, buckles
and all sorts of great stuff.  Good training for fastening things.  The
CPSC felt that the buttons were too easy to remove.  The old "oh no your
book is dangerous it may kill my (stupid) kid."

The publisher didn't try a 1st Amendment defense.  I don't know if they've
ever reissued.

DCF

Who survived to adulthood before the CPSC (as difficult as that may be to
believe).

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread