1994-02-04 - Remailer Tearline Conventions

Header Data

From: anonymous@extropia.wimsey.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 69a9214ae261a917f7ebfaebb8756585fb9f2e3eef2ca117a830c1c540408117
Message ID: <199402040132.AA19447@xtropia>
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 17:49:44 PST

Raw message

From: anonymous@extropia.wimsey.com
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 17:49:44 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Remailer Tearline Conventions

 * Reply to msg originally in CYPHERPUNKS

 Uu> From: edgar@spectrx.saigon.com (Edgar W. Swank)

 Uu> Someone (not me) asked about remailer tearline conventions to
 Uu> eliminate automatic sigs:

 Uu> I'm the one who brought this up "months ago" and the short answer to
 Uu> your question is "no."

 Uu> Hall Remailer     <nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
 Uu> added a "cut line" of
 Uu> --ignore--

 Uu> At the time I brought this up, the attitude of most remailer operators
 Uu> (Chael Hall and Miron Cuperman notably excepted) was that anyone who
 Uu> couldn't figure out how and remember to turn off their auto sig didn't
 Uu> deserve any privacy.

An astonishing bit of Internet provincial fuckheadedness, I must say!
When one considers that there are _many_ other nets that gate into
Internet these days and innumerable store-and-forward host systems whose
message handling processes are _completely_ beyond the control of the
end user (even smug Cypherpunk geniuses), this attitude mystifies me.

 Uu> I recommend that you always use the wimsey (extropia) remailer as the
 Uu> first (or only) leg of a remailer chain.  It is also the only
 Uu> Cypherpunks remailer outside the USA (it's in Canada) which will make
 Uu> tracing msgs a little more difficult for USA authorities.

That remail@extropia.wimsey.com is in Canada specifically makes
communications with it fair game for NSA interception, however.

Thread