1994-02-18 - Mimicry

Header Data

From: “Gary Jeffers” <CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6d7f649507f4c7d1075da991db47f4f45d46a805bd59fb7a861f118dde9d2555
Message ID: <9402181605.AA21762@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Feb 94 08:06:06 PST

Raw message

From: "Gary Jeffers" <CCGARY@MIZZOU1.missouri.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 94 08:06:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Mimicry

   I find hiding info. in falsely deleted files to be futile because of
the following reasons.
1. too easy to write over them. 2. procedures to keep track of everything
too complicated. 3. direct sector writing is a non-trivial programming
problem, rather risky, & complicated with today's compressed disks.

   I have thought of a related alternative however:
The use of one of the virus maker's tools - the false "BAD SECTOR"
trick where good data is written into these "bad sectors". You would
only want to mark a few sectors as bad & then put in only high
quality information. Some kind of a "bootstrapping"  operation
such as a simple XOR program that turns a "garbage file" into a PGP
file. The PGP could in turn be use to decrypt a stenography
system for a real high security encrypt system. Remember that a
user supplied password must also be used.

   Incidentally, if we are forced to rely on stenography systems
exclusively, we may have lost a battle or 2, but we will win innumerable
other battles & later - the war.

                                           Yours Turly,
                                           Gary Jeffers

                                           GO TEAM GO! GO TEAM GO!