1994-02-15 - Re: Detweiler remailer abuse

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: qwerty@netcom.com (Xenon)
Message Hash: 81b9ee68b2de241a439c7585ac8731abdf7da9275c25bc7d7338e42b6899a093
Message ID: <9402151554.AA25099@andria.lehman.com>
Reply To: <199402150754.XAA05159@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-15 16:06:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 08:06:06 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 08:06:06 PST
To: qwerty@netcom.com (Xenon)
Subject: Re: Detweiler remailer abuse

Xenon says:
> I can't take life seriously enough to censor old Larry.
> I can't take the IDEAL of the First Amendment lightly
> enough to do so either.

The first amendment says nothing about private individuals -- its
about the government. It says that the GOVERNMENT can't stop people
from speaking. Tell me, if Larry wanted to stand next to your bed and
shout all night long, would you let him in in order to uphold the
"first amendment"?

Individuals may choose how they wish to let their resources be used.
In your case, you may decide that you don't want to deal with Larry
using your equipment in an effort to destroy you. After all, you may
be the guy who gets jailed on kiddy-porn charges because Larry decides
to target YOU first. He isn't a responsible net.citizen, and he
doesn't deserve to be treated that way.

Perry

Thread