1994-02-02 - Re: New Remailer Up.

Header Data

From: “Jon ‘Iain’ Boone” <boone@psc.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 91f32fa7ddd6c372bfb3c95acb9548d7cf8c5e69ea779cede55a8e4f0b9c3ac8
Message ID: <9402021500.AA11889@igi.psc.edu>
Reply To: <199402020607.WAA29302@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-02 15:00:55 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Feb 94 07:00:55 PST

Raw message

From: "Jon 'Iain' Boone" <boone@psc.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 94 07:00:55 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: New Remailer Up.

nobody@qwerty.org  writes:

> Greetings.
>
> New remailer: qwerty@netcom.com.
>
> No logs. Only a "counter" that works by appending the word "R" or "ER" to a
> text file so I can get an idea if anyone is using it. However, I'm sure the
> Netcom and other site's mail logs will be enough to track serious abusers
> of anonymity down, without my help. This remailer is dedicated to honest
> people who desire PRIVACY.

  Is the sendmail (I assume you are using sendmail for SMTP services) daemon
  set up so that it *doesn't* log to /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog [or any other
  syslog facility]?  Otherwise, it may well be possible to track the usage
  of the remailer through browsing the syslog logs.

  This is one of the problems (it seems to me) with using a remailer and
  *not* having root access.  Unless you can convince your sysadmin to
  remove the syslog mechanism that sendmail uses, you may be exposing your
  users (presumably by accident).

 Jon Boone | PSC Networking | boone@psc.edu | (412) 268-6959
 PGP Public Key fingerprint =  23 59 EC 91 47 A6 E3 92  9E A8 96 6A D9 27 C9 6C

Thread