1994-02-13 - Re: Oh No! Nazis on the Nets

Header Data

From: rcain@netcom.com (Robert Cain)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Message Hash: bc5ff30c9b2f79a5ce8ab60d3a8fa451011e4f8611f48f4d900bb1aea88c4d8f
Message ID: <199402131824.KAA03233@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199402100240.AA23564@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-13 18:31:14 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Feb 94 10:31:14 PST

Raw message

From: rcain@netcom.com (Robert Cain)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 94 10:31:14 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (cypherpunks)
Subject: Re: Oh No! Nazis on the Nets

Duncan Frissell sez:

> Of particular concern to the authorities are connections with Gary Lauck,
> self-proclaimed head of America's neo-Nazis, whose organisation in
> Nebraska is believed to be behind the mailing of a computer disk called
> "Endsieg" (Final Victory) which contains bomb-making instructions.

It is just this kind of thing that does in fact give me big qualms when
considering the enormous consequences of unleashing inexpensive, easy
to use, hard voice crypto that is accessible to anyone.  I'm not really
being a devil's advocate, I'm just sincerely concerned.  Sure, this guy
may have a nonsense plan or a workable one or perhaps none at all
but...

It could be the Pandora's box awaiting the opening that the cold war
years never quite showed the balls to attempt.  In this unstable and
angry world with people obviously standing ready to do *anything* they
can to get their way, is it appropriate to help them accomplish their
deadly and reckless methods?  I dunno, but when you feel you hold the
key to this in your head and respected people think so too it really
make you *stop* and think.

On the other hand it is inevitable so why be personally concerned.

Peace and Love,

Bob

--
Bob Cain    rcain@netcom.com   408-354-8021

           "I used to be different.  But now I'm the same."

--------------PGP 1.0 or 2.0 public key available on request.------------------

Thread