1994-02-07 - Nate’s Remailer Shutdown.

Header Data

From: qwerty@netcom.com (Xenon)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c85b53c523279b136418cbf907f358b9cda27ab8fd653ce036ee026cda5c19f8
Message ID: <199402072231.OAA10521@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 14:30:40 PST

Raw message

From: qwerty@netcom.com (Xenon)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 14:30:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Nate's Remailer Shutdown.

I am responding publicly to a letter I got from Nate about his wanting to
know who sent the naughty mail to the subnet-
managers@yuma.acns.colostate.edu. It was remailed from somewhere to qwerty,
and then through Nate's remailer. For gossip's sake, I'd sure like to see
what it said :-).

Sorry to hear about your remailer. It's good for all of us to have such
"minor" problems come up and be dealt with. I am keeping no logs except a
counter. This isn't a policy, it's just a decision for now. However, if the
70 people on the list care to they can certainly contact Netcom and ask for
a copy of their sendmail logs for that day. I'm sure if the mail was sent
to a police address saying "Nah nah you can't find me I'm selling guns to
little kids." then this would happen. I know that with my software (Hal's
updated), once such a problem happens, I can just block that outgoing
address. This isn't exactly a perfect solution, but I don't WANT a perfect
solution. This isn't IRAQ, no matter how global the internet is. I'm not
sure how to block an incoming address from say Detweiler.

My model is  based on the postal service. Why is e-mail supposed to be so
much more accountable? With snail mail someone can send a real bomb, not a
wimpy mail bomb. And yet it is perfectly legal to leave out a return
address. Qwerty is a mailbox. An inanimate object. I do not like the
internet. I like the postal service. You NEVER see someone like Detweiler
abusing snail mail anonymity with the purpose of trying to shut down or
change the policy of the US Postal Service! I think remailers should be
able to strip the From line completely, but as I pointed out, this would be
"frowned upon", and may not even be feasible to do vigorously. I thought
the internet was anarchic and free. Fun and creative. Oops. Oh well. Again,
"You ain't PUNKS, if you timidly play by the rules of others." I'm not
talking illegality. In fact, I'm talking life, liberty, and pursuit of
happiness. Insert constituion and Bill of Rights buzzwords here.

I think it might be nice for the remailers to block certain outgoing
address TYPES, such as "subnet-manager", but I don't know which others
since I'm new around here.

The information is available on Netcom's logs. It probably just points to
another remailer. Welcome to the postal service. Same as it ever was. Don't
blame the mailman, and especially not the mailbox. The day all mailboxes
have cameras atop them and require retinal ID before they take your logged
mail is the day people realize how bad it is out here in cyberspace.

    8,      8      ,8     8,      8      ,8    8,      8      ,8
    Yb     d8b     dY     Yb     d8b     dY    Yb     d8b     dY
    `8,   ,8'8,   ,8'     `8,   ,8'8,   ,8'    `8,   ,8'8,   ,8'
     Yb   dY Yb   dY       Yb   dY Yb   dY      Yb   dY Yb   dY
      Y8 8Y   Y8 8Y         Y8 8Y   Y8 8Y        Y8 8Y   Y8 8Y
       YaY     YaY           YaY     YaY          YaY     YaY
       `8'     `8' O R L D   `8'     `8' I D E    `8'     `8' I R E T A P

  -=Xenon=-

P.S. "Get Off the Internet and Write Us a Real Encryptor." Your species
desires PGP to have a random data block output format. Now.

Thread