1994-02-28 - Need info on E-mail security

Header Data

From: KEPERRIER@setpoint.com (Kent Perrier)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d6854081c8eca4c4a68c9fa3541a58805e252df338a92d700594a69e90953921
Message ID: <9402282129.AA04448@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 13:29:52 PST

Raw message

From: KEPERRIER@setpoint.com (Kent Perrier)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 13:29:52 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Need info on E-mail security

I need a some help from all of you crypto-literate people out in
Net.Land.  The company currently employing me has recently opened
several overseas offices.  We have connected ourselves to the Internet
to send e-mail between the Houston office (corperate HQ) the new
overseas offices.  As to be expected, the powers-that-be here gave no
thought to security for e-mail.  I have brought this to their attention
about 6 weeks ago and nothing has been done yet.  I know 6 weeks is a
short period of time but this is still a relatively small company
(400 people) so something should have happened by now if anything was
going to happen.

That's the history of the current situation.  I believe I need to provide
some proof as to how easy it is to read unencrypted Internet E-mail.
Not being an experienced programmer and not knowing how a lot of things
work on the Internet, I do not know how easy it is to scan in-transit
e-mail for keywords.  Could some kind person please inform me as to
how easy it is to do this, and, if possible, please direct me to a
place that papers and/or programs have been written on the subject.  I
belive I need to "shock" the higher-ups that this could be a very big
problem if we don't do something now while use of the Internet is light.

Thanks,

Kent Perrier
keperrier@setpoint.com (work)
kperrier@neosoft.com (play)
Corporations don't have opinions, people do.  These are mine.

Thread