1994-02-25 - Re: ironic

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Message Hash: e55c7ecb968846f03bd8b0d3c23435f867b5301c8a94d4322f5a6a5d3ea6d522
Message ID: <199402251855.KAA03310@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <9402250021.AA13220@anchor.ho.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-25 18:54:47 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 10:54:47 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 10:54:47 PST
To: bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Subject: Re: ironic

> On the other hand, the papers did make a big deal about how they used
> wiretaps to help catch the guy, and that they've known about him for a while;
> is this all timed to support the "voluntary" Clipper and the
> mandatory Digital Telephony wiretap projects?
>
> # Bill Stewart  AT&T Global Information Solutions, aka NCR Corp

I could have sworn I heard something on CNN a few days ago about how
his home PC was also tapped/monitored to collect incriminating
evidence. Listening in with vans full of RF gear wouldn't surprise me.
After all, this is precisely where our abstract discussions of TEMPEST
meet reality.

The moral: If you're planning to pass secrets to the Russians, learn
some tradecraft! (I was amazed at the ineptness of Ames, a senior CIA
guy, in leaving such a trail. And amazed at the ineptness of his
superior at the Agency for not checking up on him (they flutter
employees only every 5 years, and he apparently passed). Finally, at
the ineptness of his KGB handlers for not advising him to avoid things
like paying cash for a house, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc.

Don't _any_ of them read Ludlum?

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero