1994-02-07 - Re: A serious question of ethics

Header Data

From: nobody@pmantis.berkeley.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f7363567cfbc939798929fc5aac37fc25e8ac3f756193859649d2eface29b906
Message ID: <9402071839.AA15102@pmantis.berkeley.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 10:40:37 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@pmantis.berkeley.edu
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 10:40:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: A serious question of ethics

On Mon, 7 Feb 1994, Tom Allard wrote:

> nobody@pmantis.berkeley.edu wrote:
>
> > Ok, I'm in a bit of a quandry.  While surfing the net last week, I
> > happened across an address addached to a machine that belongs the the
> > federal reserve.  No big deal.  I telnetted there on a lark, and entered
> > 'guest' for the account.  It dropped me into a shell.  It didn't ask for
> > a password.  Intrigued, I did a little looking around.  Nothing special,
> > a CDRom and about 80 accounts.  But(!!), /etc/passwd was there and
> > available and not using shadows.  No, I didn't snatch a copy.

Does that mean that I no longer should report the open system (I don't
dare telnet there to find out if it is the same one)?

Also, and I'm purely curious, what actually became of my anonymous
report, and do I need to be worried about SS agents in dark sunglasses
coming to my home and dragging me away?  (Truely worried and scared)

Thread