1994-03-23 - Controlling the Internet

Header Data

From: nobody@soda.berkeley.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 002273eeea3531de37f074920858fb2f35c36cb4bb4f24b8a480f1d2f8516de4
Message ID: <199403232126.NAA00899@soda.berkeley.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 13:27:11 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@soda.berkeley.edu
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 13:27:11 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Controlling the Internet

[It shouldn't be too hard to figure out who "nobody" is:]

Blanc writes...

>I can't say that everything that billg does or makes arrangements for
>with his clout will be defensible;  I can point out that any
>arrangements which he makes with others depends upon those individual's
>consent, their agreeableness, and not to coercion or the elimination of
>choice altogether.  (I don't know all of the details of how the closing
>The threat of a monopolization of power which  (someone)  mentioned
>as being presented by Microsoft's dominance in the market is not of the
>same type as is presented by the government's.  From what I know about
>"intellectual property", this concept is supposed to establish the
>source of what has been produced (software) as belonging to its
>creator, and therefore as something akin to an object or service which
>can be traded and from which one can receive payment.  It's a way to
>make a living, in other words, based on the recognition of a value.

I think we agree philosophically.  Where we diverge is in our understanding
of things-as-they-are.  I contend that large companies, MS being one
example, often enlist the government and its coercive powers in their
service.

One issue where I think I've seen MS's hand is "intellectual property".
My concern about "intellectual property" is that MS and some others have
changed the terms of the debate ["property" is protected more than
"privilege"] and the law to further their own interests, to the detriment
of the rest of us.

>The only way that I can think of to counter the dominance of one
>company in the free exchange of goods is to desist from the purchase of
>that company's offerings, or better yet to produce better ones and make
>a better case for them with the buying public.

We need to  reduce the power of government so that it cannot be enlisted
in any company's service.

That said, I am following your advice:  With the exception of the
ubiquitous DOS/Windows operating systems, I've gotten rid of every MS
product on my machines.  If OS/2 ever grows up [can handle a 14.4k
faxmodem for example], I'll be MS free.
One example of why I'm ticked at SPA folks ...

>Date:  [Recently]
>To:    [Us]
>From:  [Them]

>Comprehensive Computer Inspection

>Beginning [Soon], [We] will conduct a comprehensive inspection ...

>...[T]the sofware inventory and licensing compliance issue will be
>emphasized.  Each user should make certain that the report from the
>latest sofware inventory list is up-to-date and is readily
>available for the inspector. (...)

>When confronted by potential inspectors...  No "smart" remarks ...

I'm tired of this shit.
Now, imagine if SPA owned the internet....

Thread