1994-03-01 - Re: standard for steganography?

Header Data

From: Sergey Goldgaber <sergey@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu>
To: Norman Hardy <norm@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 0190e818650a68aaeb3229f9ac211bcb21fff12ce150cde8ae6cd617a1f69576
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9403010051.A12975-0100000@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu>
Reply To: <199403010523.VAA00389@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-01 05:56:34 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 21:56:34 PST

Raw message

From: Sergey Goldgaber <sergey@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 21:56:34 PST
To: Norman Hardy <norm@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: standard for steganography?

On Mon, 28 Feb 1994, Norman Hardy wrote:

> Has anyone done statistical studies of low bits of pixels or sound samples?
> I suspect that they are often far from random. A flat 50% distribution in
> the low bits might standout like a sore thumb. I can imagine the the low
> bit can be distributed dependently on such things as the next to low bits
> or 60 cycle power at the recorder. Some AD converters are known to produce
> 60% ones or some such.  Like mechanical typewriters, AD systems probably
> have there own idiosyncrasies. Given a flat stream of cipher data, there
> are techniques to reversably introduce such variations to mimic the biases
> of real AD converters without much data expansion.
>
> It is my wild guess and conjecture that with such statistical variation
> built in there would be no effective statistical test for a given file
> containing hidden messages.

Yes, pure white noise would be anamalous.  I have suggested that one use
a Mimic function with a "garbage grammar".  Implemented correctly, it should
withstand statistical analysis.

What is an AD converter?  And what are the techniques you speak of that
mimic those AD converters?

Sergey

Thread