1994-03-17 - Re: Denning Presentation and Q&A at George Mason University

Header Data

From: Carl_Ellison@vos.stratus.com
To: cfrye@ciis.mitre.org
Message Hash: 1bfa6266b55b2455b7227424a902372c7f9053255234f5db22a8a068ede35e92
Message ID: <199403172157.QAA26043@transfer.stratus.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Mar 94 13:57:23 PST

Raw message

From: Carl_Ellison@vos.stratus.com
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 94 13:57:23 PST
To: cfrye@ciis.mitre.org
Subject: Re: Denning Presentation and Q&A at George Mason University

>If cellular phones, baby monitors (!) and regular telephones used
>Clipper-like technology, many citizen-to-citizen privacy worries would be
>solved since ham radio and scanner operators would be unable to monitor
>these transmissions.

The same is true if all those transmitters used DES without key escrow --
and, if wireless and cellular phones were to decrypt when they came off
the air, there would be no loss of FBI wiretap ability.

Today I mailed a formal proposal to that effect (scrap Clipper; replace it
with regular DES over the air and clear otherwise; reform the export laws)
to NIST with cc: to DERD (at her suggestion).

 - Carl

Thread