1994-03-14 - brainstorming on cpunks’ eve

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 23ad7697fceb3c24b81a544691db6bff1756fe91e8b7369cce0dc50ee25909e0
Message ID: <9403141650.AA04577@ah.com>
Reply To: <9403130852.AA16812@anchor.ho.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-14 17:01:17 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 09:01:17 PST

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 09:01:17 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: brainstorming on cpunks' eve

>> Also, one could set up a hashing/signing service, more akin to a time
>> stamp service.  [....] "Digital Notary" system?

>There's certainly a need for such services.  You have to be careful
>to avoid stepping on Bellcore's work, since I think it's patented,

It is patented, and one of the first claims in the patent is just
signing a claimed time and the given document.  I don't think this
would hold up in court, because of obviousness, but the clause is in
there.

Eric

Thread