1994-03-17 - NSA and PGP rabblerousing

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: Anonymous <nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
Message Hash: 283edce18226f651e60aded65e0c6282cb17b6b9481e5f6d0bd5622d54b21d63
Message ID: <9403171328.AA04188@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <9403140240.AA04160@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-17 13:28:24 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Mar 94 05:28:24 PST

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 94 05:28:24 PST
To: Anonymous <nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
Subject: NSA and PGP rabblerousing

Anonymous writes:
 > The guy was really biased against PGP, calling it "illegal",
 > but he also hinted that it had been broken.  The hint was wrapped within
 > a "non-denial denial" (for fans of "All The President's Men") and there
 > was no *concrete* information given to support it.

I've watched enough TV in my day to realize that if PGP had been
broken, they sure as heck wouldn't tell anybody about it.  The only
reason to make such an implication is to prevent people from using it.

Note that doubling the key size from 1024 to 2048 bits is also
probably a ruse, since it dramatically increases computation time (I
think).  1024 bits are a lot of bits as it is.

--
| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |

Thread