1994-03-03 - Re: Need info on Encyption book

Header Data

From: mike@EGFABT.ORG (Mike Sherwood)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 469d5addd926adbed9da69718af55741f61719ac0171c86bc3c4d3f6cde47d03
Message ID: <i7Lmic1w165w@EGFABT.ORG>
Reply To: <9403031603.AA13543@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-03 21:22:26 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 13:22:26 PST

Raw message

From: mike@EGFABT.ORG (Mike Sherwood)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 13:22:26 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Need info on Encyption book

KEPERRIER@setpoint.com (Kent Perrier) writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have joined the "Small Computer Book Club" and in their "Top 10 Best
> Sellers" is a book by Gilbert Held called _Top_Secret_ - Data Encryption
> Techniques.  Below is the text description:
>
> "Learn how to get people the information they need...without prying
> eyes getting a look at it, too. This book/disk package introduces
> you to techniques you can use to secure messages transmitted over internal
> company networks or public electronic message systems.  You'll learn how to
> protect your communications with techiques for transposing characters in
> text, replacing characters, with new ones, using arrays, and more.  Plus,
> your free disk features source code for the book's enciphering programs.
> Softcover, with 3.5" disk. 218pp 1993."
>
> Has anyone heard of this book and is it with the $19.95 that they want
> for it?

If this is the one I'm thinking of, with source in basic, the algorithms
used are mostly primitive things that have been cracked a long time ago.
while it may be useful as a text for someone who isn't at all familiar
with cryptography to start with, don't be fooled by claims that simple
xor is a strong encryption algorithm.  I dont think the book covers any
serious encryption algorithms (des, idea, public key crypto, etc) but the
most memorable thing about it was that it was funny that they believed
what they were saying, so my memory may be faulty.

--
Mike Sherwood
internet: mike@EGFABT.ORG     uucp: ...!sgiblab!egfabt!mike

Thread