1994-03-05 - RE: New mailing list?

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 59ff96c6993e2f4adc0ad8fa1768a3b49ff349dbc2ec57caeae573f371a24c98
Message ID: <9403052158.AA01627@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Mar 94 13:57:46 PST

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 94 13:57:46 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

"I want each reader of these words to reflect on the phrase
"implementing culture".  If you do not realize the magnitude of this
principle and have some respect for its enormity, I would sincerely
suggest that your time would be better spent reading some political
philosophy and some technological history and pondering over your
desires, to make sure that you know them."

Okay, Teach.  :>)

Thanks for the clarification, Eric.  I remember some critical
statements made about your attitude toward modifications to list and
the suggestions which you apparently shot down.  I remained silent but
wondering.

"Cypherpunks is where the politics meets the code.  ....  Policy
separated from development lags the reality of deployment, and necessarily.  "

These are some things I have thought about, upon reading complaints
against the tangential discussions which come up on the list:

It is not  unimportant to engage in these conversations as they
develop, to allow for the associated efforts to achieve precision on
attitudes/expectations which counter the rest of the intellectual
atmosphere of acceptance, especially when one might be required to
produce just cause why things should go in one direction (yours) rather
than another (theirs); when you might have to answer to 'authorities'
for non-complicity to collectivist programs.

Some people do (and some should) struggle for better justification in
their own mind, of their position relating to what they themselves do
(writing & distributing code which permits alternatives to
government-supplied arrangements), of what they advocate to others that
they ought to do (positive or negative support for a method/plan of
action), or would prevent (as in thwart the progress/implementation of
Clipper).

It is  not   unimportant to be clear about the propriety of the motives
behind an argument, to be satisfied that one is correct -   that it
isn't merely 'whining' because one is not getting one's way, or because
the government & its advisors are not sufficiently lenient in their
outlook;  that there is philosophical, logically consistency in the
actions/solutions proposed.

It is not unproductive to maintain a general awareness among all those
who would deem to be of the same "attitudinal alignment".   Else how
could such a group survive as advocates of ideas promoting complete
independence & total autonomy. (euphemism)

I myself would welcome the existence of a more thorough elaboration on
this subject, from yourself and the others who founded the list: an
explanatory FAQ for reference, especially on the matter of
"implementing culture", since this implies more than simply effects
dealing with government.

Blanc

Thread