1994-03-22 - Administrivia: Questions about the List

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 65c84fcf54e267f1b43d7c2dc1301d6e7f91bb72e43e5a4f5bdb8a70888daff2
Message ID: <9403220203.AA00189@ah.com>
Reply To: <199403190732.XAA27112@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-22 02:17:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 18:17:01 PST

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 18:17:01 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Administrivia: Questions about the List

>1. Is the list sending out messages in a defective (slow) way, or is
>my service (Netcom) bouncing a lot of mail, thus causing these delays
>as toad attempts resends?

The problem, from what I can tell, is that one of the mail routing
machines at uunet in Virginia was down.  For various political reasons
having to do with AUP's, toad.com routes NSFNet mail through uunet.
So one of the relay machines went down, and some messages were delayed.

Mail queuing makes no effort at all to preserve ordering, so if some
message doesn't go straight to the machine it's supposed to the first
time, ordering can get pretty randomly scrambled.

>2. I'm getting a lot of error messages from Julf's site, saying my
>messages cannot be delivered to "an2757938" and the like. This used to
>be a problem, but was fixed by Eric Hughes a year or so ago. It
>appears to be back again. Are others seeing this, too?

I took five penet addresses off the list.  Those people who were on it
from that site can add themselves back on with majordomo.

Eric

Thread