1994-03-21 - How to control the Internet.

Header Data

From: “Bradley W. Dolan” <71431.2564@CompuServe.COM>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 6cdb4aba598f617e7d1a425c041978d6ec1a4581e01d15baf3abff207a513376
Message ID: <94032120225071431.2564_FHA81-1@CompuServe.COM>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1994-03-21 20:26:27 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 12:26:27 PST

Raw message

From: "Bradley W. Dolan" <71431.2564@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 12:26:27 PST
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: How to control the Internet.

>From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
>To: bdolan@well.sf.ca.us
>Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 09:49:56 PST
>Subject: RE: How to control Internet?  Buy it!
>Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com

>>I'm having a nightmare about a Microsoft-like domination of global
>>communications, complete with SPA police, etc.

>Unlike the government, Microsoft and McCaw Cellular both depend upon a
>customer-driven market for their acceptance.  They must convince their
>customers that they are better than the competition in providing a
>similar service; they must adjust this service to the customer's
>requests & preferences or lose the account.

>Blanc

That's the way it's supposed to be.  What happens in practice - not
specifically with Microsoft or McCaw [I don't want to hear from the
platoons of lawyers. ;-)] - is that the big guys run down to Washington,
pull a few strings, make a few contributions, and ask the government
to use its resources and force to ensure that the corporate-desired
outcome results.

I remember when patents and copyrights were _privileges_ granted to
encourage creativity and there was no such thing as "intellectual
_property_".

I remember a time when the idea of a royalty-tax on blank tapes to
pay for presumed copyright infringement was regarded as crazy.

bdolan@well.sf.ca.us

Thread