1994-03-03 - Forbes magazine against the Clipper?

Header Data

From: Mike Markley <mmarkley@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 759be72a8e9533cd2a17de9e1ea040594a62840564232b8b84b5f2b3bd5056da
Message ID: <9403031726.AA02703@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 09:25:48 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Markley <mmarkley@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 09:25:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Forbes magazine against the Clipper?

I just noticed in the March 14, 1994 issue of Forbes magazine that
there is a small
blurb about Clipper/Skipjack.

From page 26 "HIGH-TECH SNOOPS"

"The Administration is about to browbeat American computer
manufacturers (as well as cable and telephone operators) into
installing in its machines a special chip that would enable the
government to eavesdrop on all computer and telephonic transmissions."

It goes on to somewhat describe the governments theory on why they need
to do this. Then the article says the following.

"This is a really dumb idea. High-tech exports will be devestated.
Foreigners aren't going to buy equipment with such a decoding device.
More to the point, criminals and terrorists won't either."

"The Clinton Administration promises that the enormous power that the
Clipper Chip gives the feds will not lead to abuses of our privacy. Baloney."

This is not a full reproduction of the article but covers the main
direction of it. All quotes are fully intact and not paraphrased.

Mike Markley              || The opinions here do not represent the
mmarkley@microsoft.com    || opinions of my employer. Attempts to
			  || associate the two are pointless.

   "I want to look at life, In the available light"
					- Neil Peart -

Thread