1994-03-14 - Question about the Clipper Chip

Header Data

From: “Paul Elliott” <paul.elliott@hrnowl.lonestar.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7bf9d3a5097c5f507c1fcf338dec69190cd58f3463132f290102c8a276be74c4
Message ID: <2d836c1a.flight@flight.hrnowl.lonestar.org>
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Mar 94 17:13:51 PST

Raw message

From: "Paul Elliott" <paul.elliott@hrnowl.lonestar.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 94 17:13:51 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Question about the Clipper Chip

I have heard that the Clipper Chip is only supposed to be used
for voice applications. Does anyone know if  the inputs and outputs
of the Clipper Chip digital or analog? That is does the clipper
chip input/output an analog signal with some sort of internal
analog to digital converter or does have purely digital inputs
and outputs?

The reason I ask is, if the chip does analog IO, then it
would be possible for the chip to be designed to deliberately
leak its own key disguised as a measurement error in the
low bits of the analog to digital/analog conversion.

Thread