1994-03-22 - Where to find RSAREF (source library used by RIPEM)

Header Data

From: Christopher Allen <consensus@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 919b3681ca9b497cdedad0b440ee6d3cb810cbe6e76686890ff9ddd350c7eb7f
Message ID: <199403221304.FAA02622@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Mar 94 05:03:47 PST

Raw message

From: Christopher Allen <consensus@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 94 05:03:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Where to find RSAREF (source library used by RIPEM)

Some people asked after my last message how to get the latest version of
RSAREF 1.2 -- it can be found on RSA's anonymous ftp server.

What is significant about the new RSAREF is that it is used as the basis
for RIPEM and RIPEM/SIG, and that you can incorporate its toolbox in your
own applications very inexpensively. According to their license agreement,
freeware (i.e. non-moneymaking) software can use the RSAREF toolkit
provided that you make the source code to your utility available.

Though this is not official yet, I've been told by RSA that they will also
grant a royalty-free license to shareware authors up to $10,000 worth of
gross annual sales if the shareware source code is available and the
author(s) do not charge more than $50 a copy. If you are a commercial
developer, I know from personal experience that they can be quite
reasonable about licensing -- they want this base level of technology
adopted as widely as possible -- just make RSA a reasonable offer and I
think they'll take it.

Remember, even though you can use RSAREF to create exportable
non-encryption based digital signature software, the source code to RSAREF
is not exportable itself as it can do encryption thus it is only available
to US and Canadian citizens.

Information on what RSAREF is all about and what are the license terms are
located at:

        ftp://rsa.com/rsaref/info.reply
        ftp://rsa.com/rsaref/license.txt

To get access to a time dependent directory (it changes every few minutes)
you will need to read the document:

        ftp://rsa.com/rsaref/README

If you agree to it's terms, take the directory mentioned there and
substitute it for the the checksum in the directory "U.S.-only 7c04e6".

The uuencoded tar archive of RSAREF is at (remember to change the time
dependent directory!):

        ftp://rsa.com/rsaref/dist/U.S.-only-7c04e6/rsaref.tar.Z

The ZIP archive of RSAREF is at (remember to change the time dependent
directory!):

        ftp://rsa.com/rsaref/dist/U.S.-only-7c04e6/rsaref.zip

You can also get the RSAREF via email by reading the RSAREF license
agreement and sending the following message to
<rsaref-administrator@rsa.com>. If your electronic mail address is located
in Canada, please send RSA your full name and mailing address; they'll need
it to complete a Department of State export declaration.

     I acknowledge that I have read the RSAREF Program License
     Agreement and understand and agree to be bound by its terms and
     conditions, including without limitation its restrictions on
     foreign reshipment of the Program and information related to the
     Program. The electronic mail address to which I am requesting
     that the program be transmitted is located in the United States
     of America or Canada and I am a United States citizen, a Canadian
     citizen, or a permanent resident of the United States. The RSAREF
     Program License Agreement is the complete and exclusive agreement
     between RSA Laboratories and me relating to the Program, and
     supersedes any proposal or prior agreement, oral or written, and
     any other communications between RSA Laboratories and me relating
     to the Program.

..Christopher Allen                  Consensus Development Corporation..
..<consensus@netcom.com>                         4104-24th Street #419..
..                                        San Francisco, CA 94114-3615..
..                                        o415/647-6383  f415/647-6384..
..Mosaic/World-Wide-Web Front Door:                                   ..
..ftp://netcom7.netcom.com/pub/consensus/www/ConsensusFrontDoor.html  ..

Thread