1994-03-15 - Re: CIA@funet.fi ?

Header Data

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@an-teallach.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b0e3580898b455ea78d6fea5f3e8be37d869b4059415f3aac074bea9909fcfcf
Message ID: <199403151846.SAA01702@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 11:30:21 PST

Raw message

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@an-teallach.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 94 11:30:21 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CIA@funet.fi ?

: From: paulj@xs4all.hacktic.nl (Paul Jongsma)

: Well don't think the funet.fi one is a CIA setup, but i know for sure that
: anon@hacktic.nl isn't.....

The trouble with the cypherpunk remailers is there isn't a single
one of them I'd trust.  The overwhelming credo of the sort of person
I've met in this area is that they want extreme absolute privacy
for *themselves* but sneak and spy on everything they possibly
can about everyone else.  (Oops - that sounds bad - I don't specifically
mean the people who run cypherpunk remailers; I mean people who're
obsessive about secrecy in general and hackers in particular.  Secretive
hackers being the worst.)

And you can take it as read that every remailer will be logged by the
Black Hats too.  Only double-blinded *encrypted* remailing is going
to have any chance of maintaining secrecy, and then only if you go
out of your way to explicitly chain round dozens of remailers in the
hope of finding *one* that isn't compromised.  (And that, only if all
the remailers are regularly spoofing traffic between themselves to foil
traffic analysis)