1994-03-02 - Insecurity of public key crypto #1 (reply to Mandl)

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d3cc64fbe9eeab96ff0ad1c66bef96702fcabd58c9936d8df124cc1682861ea6
Message ID: <9403021629.AA10563@ah.com>
Reply To: <199403021550.IAA22518@pmip.dist.maricopa.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-02 16:37:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 08:37:22 PST

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 94 08:37:22 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Insecurity of public key crypto #1 (reply to Mandl)

I wrote:
>: Therefore _all_ communications should be encrypted at all time.  It is
>: no argument against the principle that this is difficult to do at the
>: current time.

>there would be a tangible benefit from encrypting
>a list like cypherpunks with a well-known, even casual grade key.

Yes, there would be a benefit for those who are working specifically
on mailers, but for those, like me, of course, who aren't, it would be
a royal pain in the ass.  This is an argument against the practice of
encrypting all traffic, not the principle.  And this argument only
holds in the present time; it won't hold in the future.

As Perry points out, we aren't where we want to be.  Yet.

Eric

Thread