1994-03-31 - Re: The Focus on Clipper Details Plays into Their Hands

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
To: jim@rand.org
Message Hash: e0e36f81573713d60b20c1a253b0514e8645e9ec22bb66e6e46789f42665b994
Message ID: <9403310134.AA18969@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 17:35:38 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 17:35:38 PST
To: jim@rand.org
Subject: Re: The Focus on Clipper Details Plays into Their Hands

Jim Gillogly <jim@rand.org> writes:
> > tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May) writes:
> > I believe the focus on Clipper/Skipjack details and technical issues
> > plays into the hands of those who want to deploy these systems.
>
> I agree that focussing on the technical side is a diversion, and I have
> been a major offender here lately.  But I also think it's important that
> we understand what it is we're opposed to.
  [....]
> Understanding precisely how the government
> claims they're protecting my rights is important to me, so that I can tell
> them and anybody else willing to listen how they're not.

Technical discussion (aside from being fun :-) is useful in understanding
*what* the government is really up to, how much privacy/freedom is
being stolen, what things they're telling the truth or lying about,
and how much work it takes to break the systems they're proposing to
implement or ban.  It's also useful for understanding how to build
systems that *do* protect privacy, and for showing how those systems
are generally better technically than the privacy-stealing systems
the government wants us to use.  But as Jim pointed out, getting the
details wrong can lose us a lot of credibility.

	Bill

Thread