1994-03-10 - Re: FinCen

Header Data

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f8e88dc18e33615190ac47e5b8393e92b3a3724ee4d5e4a46b0e5c9e480780c4
Message ID: <199403101602.QAA28777@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 08:03:02 PST

Raw message

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 08:03:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FinCen

	From: Wayne Q Jones <qjones@infi.net>

	   The "roadblocks" put up by intelligence is no surprise. Afterall what did
	happen to the 10 millions of the Iran-Contra drug money? What about the
	DEA agent who stole several hundred thousand dollars in drug money?
	  FinCen is one way of hiding the illegal drug escapades of the
	intelligence community.

It's precisely because of the CIA's illegal funding of covert activities
(ones they can't even get a black budget for) that I posted on eff.talk,
the day that Ames was uncovered, that he most likely slipped through the
detection-net of overspending precisely *because* agencies like this and
the CIA cooperate to hide the illegal income of top CIA agents.  It's
almost certain that FINCen has tweaked their algorithm specifically to
bypass people like Ames.  And we still haven't seen the drug connection
in that case surface.  But don't worry, it will.   Head of anti-drugs
operations for the last <N> years?  Don't kid me...

So much for 'checks and balances'.