1994-04-19 - Privacy and the lack thereof.

Header Data

From: “Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ” <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0da050860a874483c1855f63be82b803d4641a6b100aa90ad990e59df8d6d388
Message ID: <9404192317.AA12080@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Reply To: <199404192152.AA17128@access3.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-19 23:18:05 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 16:18:05 PDT

Raw message

From: "Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ" <jims@Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 16:18:05 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Privacy and the lack thereof.

<My computer told me that Black Unicorn said:>

> Then, instead of having a record that you purchased Pentouse Letters
> on April 14 at 10:33 pm in Mac's Milk on the corner of Broadway
> and 110th, they have a record of your withdrawal of 50 bucks from
> the atm and a picture in their video database as you did the
> withdrawal. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I had this thought earlier today:  What if the infamous "THEY" want
to track your actions.  They have reason to believe you live in Chicago
and just bought a gun to take back home.  This being illegal they would
like to nail you.  You, however, have read this list and are a bit on
the "shady" side of the law and bought the gun with cash and a fake
name/id.  Safe at last, or are you?  What if "they" analyzed all the
ATM machines in that general area and got a report of everyone who
withdrew Gun_Price + 0-to-100 dollars. (Spending money).  They could
narrow it down and eventually, since they suspect you anyway, get your
pix from the ATM video camera.  Take this to the gun man and you're id'd.

My point?  Does everyone do what I do... carry little cash and when you
want to buy something with cash go to a machine and take it out within an
hour of your purchase?  It seems to me if this is typical then we need to
look at changing that habit since it can lead someone to you, albeit with
great difficulty.

   Jim

--
   Tantalus Inc.        Bringing people together     Jim Sewell-KD4CKQ
2407 N. Roosevelt Blvd.   to have a little fun.  Internet: jims@mpgn.com

Thread