1994-04-29 - Random #’s via serial port dongle?

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 12ba6a479caa0a69910d8f511a85e881fe2ece50e6ca3edeefd8a9abd7d12c10
Message ID: <m0pwxLM-000IDpC@crynwr>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 13:27:18 PDT

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 13:27:18 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Random #'s via serial port dongle?

   Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 07:08:19 -0400
   From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@snark.imsi.com>

   How do you pick the random section in the first place? Oh, I see, we
   use a random number generator!

This has probably been discussed before, but has anyone built a little
device that amplifies the white noise from a transistor junction, and
converts it into serial data?  You could easily build a self-powered
dongle that sits on an RS-232 port and continuously spits out truly
random bytes.

I could probably sell them for $25 if I could sell more than a hundred
of them.  Is there a market for true random number generators?

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>      ftp.msen.com:pub/vendor/crynwr/crynwr.wav
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)    | Quakers do it in the light
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.

Thread