1994-04-14 - Re: fake pgp messages

Header Data

From: Ian Turton <ian@geography.leeds.ac.uk>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 39754bd22c50a239b69dfac71fa885719002b7c55fb02371c51860ad187dc85d
Message ID: <3901.9404141632@geography.leeds.ac.uk>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 09:36:41 PDT

Raw message

From: Ian Turton <ian@geography.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 09:36:41 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: fake pgp messages

> > > in the process of doing stuff to fight traffic analysis, i need to generate
> > > a bunch of fake pgp messages.  it is possible to asciiarmor random
> > > bits, but this is pretty easy to spot.  does anyone know a good
> > > way to generate a large amount of bogus pgp messages?
> >
> > What better way than to generate real pgp messages that encrypt noise files?
> > Just generate pseudorandom binary data of pseudorandom length (biased
> > toward the length of real messages), and encrypt with pgp, using the
> > public key of some person's key from a public server, selected at
> > random.  If you want to be able to spend less cpu time, you could hack a
> > copy of pgp to simulate doing this, of course, using the symmetric key
> > cipher (idea) in a stream cipher mode.
> >

> Better "noise" might be _real_ words, paragraphs, etc.
>
> It occurred to me once that some of the remailer operators could
> bounce the cypherpunks mailing list around through their remailers
> to get more traffic/noise.

why not take a random news group comp.talk.eff seems like a good one and
encrypt that and mail out one article whenever you need or whenever your
news server recieves one. You could then tailor the frequency by choosing
high or low volume news groups.

> Cort.

Ian Turton - School of Geography, Leeds University
	     0532 -333309

Thread