1994-04-29 - Re: Gee…

Header Data

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 61296a28420a466f2eb58f00290dff1b93882eaa22c16811b9595717e48b1054
Message ID: <199404291215.IAA24788@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 05:16:48 PDT

Raw message

From: snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Bob Snyder)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 05:16:48 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Gee...

At  8:08 AM 4/28/94 -0700, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>Do you think your fastidious compliance with the law will keep them from
>branding you a criminal, anyway?  Wake up.

Errr, no, but they'd still need to prove it.  Generally, it is easier to
get a guilty verdict when you have committed a crime than when you have
not.

>The whole purpose of wide-spread availability and use of strong crypto is
>to what "others" say or think, irrelevant.  Strong crypto means never
>having to say you're sorry.

I'm not arguing this point.  I agree.  I just think that people should work
to change the current government policy through legal means before
resorting to illegal measures.  I think we are seeing some sucess in this
area, with the hearings on Clipper and the push by at least one legislator
to ease the cryptography export restrictions.  We are getting reasonable
press coverage, which is growing.  Just like you only heard a bit about the
Internet a few years ago, but now you can't pick up a newspaper or magazine
without some mention of the Internet, you are starting to see articles
about Cryptography (like the WSJ article, or NPR's piece).

Bob

--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                                     MIME, RIPEM mail accepted
snyderra@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu                       finger for RIPEM public key