1994-04-05 - one small comment about a big problem

Header Data

From: Bob Stratton <strat@uunet.uu.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 76f19991a1bb3f52355259046f03710d1df8c31fa637fc160a5adb4d24d5f98f
Message ID: <9404051908.AA13274@odin.UU.NET>
Reply To: <199404051818.LAA17079@netcom9.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-05 19:08:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 12:08:40 PDT

Raw message

From: Bob Stratton <strat@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 94 12:08:40 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: one small comment about a big problem

    tmp> unix passwords represent a reasonable amount of
    tmp> security. they prevent me from hijacking your account. more
    tmp> sophisticated levels exist.

I would take issue with this statement on its face. I refer you all to
the recent House hearings on Internet Security, and the statements
made by all of the panel members.

Reusable passwords are dead. Anyone who insists on using them is part
of the problem, not part of the solution. If you won't do it for
yourself, do it for your neighbors who will be attacked from your
site.

--Strat

Thread