1994-04-15 - Little known facts about the infohigh….

Header Data

From: Julietta <albright@scf.usc.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7b38b6f65e1993ed92434846f4b26c0cf7b69d4959ff0b2edee40f807c19ac2f
Message ID: <199404150646.XAA06382@nunki.usc.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 23:47:03 PDT

Raw message

From: Julietta <albright@scf.usc.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 23:47:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Little known facts about the infohigh....

uuh...
	I'm sitting here in shock right now,not knowing if this is yet
another round of propganda, or another scheme set up by the NSA and other
branches of our government's "protectful" branches <smirk> to keep an eye
on "terrorist activities" in the homes of our American citizens. I just
finished reading "1984" to get me in the mood for a paper I am working on
concerning computer surveillance...and now I receive this post regarding
the use of TV technology being used to create the infamous Orwellian
"Telescreen" which can hear and see our every move. Does anyone on this
list have any further information about this? Perhaps (and I am crossing my
fingers here) this was a post- April Fool's Day gag.. trouble is- it seems
just feasible enough to make me worry.
	MM- one more thing. Did anyone see the Los Angelas time pieceby
Michael Scrage from MIT entitled "Why Clipper's Unlikely to Chip Away
Privacy?" (14 April 94). I can re-post if necessary. A couple of quotes
from it at least:

"Now, unless the government makes such private encryption illegal (such as
PGP), Clipper is going to foment (sic) entrepreneurial digital
cryptographers feeding off the paranoid fantasies of individuals and
institutions that fear their communications might be compromised by Big
Brother".

and:

"As long as there is a thriving market in commercial cryptography, CLipper
is unlikely to be a threat to our privacy or our criminals."

Comments Anyone?

        -- Julie

Julie M. Albright
Ph.D Student