1994-04-08 - Re: your mail

Header Data

From: Mikolaj Habryn <dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
To: anonymous@extropia.wimsey.com
Message Hash: 899b5186328346719b39f46b19203ebfc41874f83f63926e57750c9f853c27a4
Message ID: <199404081509.XAA12341@lethe.uwa.edu.au>
Reply To: <199404081343.AA19068@xtropia>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-08 15:09:34 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Apr 94 08:09:34 PDT

Raw message

From: Mikolaj Habryn <dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 94 08:09:34 PDT
To: anonymous@extropia.wimsey.com
Subject: Re: your mail

> Subject: NSA Security Manual
>
> You realize, of course, that by posting the manual verbatim you have allowed
> them to discover where the leak was.  They have the ability to change the
> wording slightly on every document, so that when you quote the document they
> can discover who gave it to you.  That is why newspapers no longer report
> quotes from documents that they have, or never show pictures of secret
> documents.  Then again, for something as simple as a manual, they may not
> bother to change each one.  But the capability exists.
>
> user@host.domain.site

	Been reading a bit of Tom Clancy, have we? This ability is
undoubtedly possible, however, as (presumably) each individual employee
has their own (individualized) copy, they should realize that some
creative editing has been done by just comparing notes.
	BTW - this was posted in phreak-45 - so the damage was done quite
a while ago - look in the papers for mysterious car crashes.

MJH

*       *       Mikolaj J. Habryn
                dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au
    *           "Life begins at '040."
                PGP Public key available by finger
    *           "Spaghetti code means job security!"

Thread