1994-04-26 - Decentralized BBSes

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: mikeingle@delphi.com
Message Hash: bb4792299d3490335d7bf2541897f863242c95154f4550fc403e42cc7c6b14cc
Message ID: <gate.BVycLc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 03:26:52 PDT

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 03:26:52 PDT
To: mikeingle@delphi.com
Subject: Decentralized BBSes

Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>:
> There are occasional waves of actions against BBSes. The most recent ones
> are for porn. Before that it was pirate software and phone codes. The next
> one will probably be for "G-files" such as bomb plans - I remember seeing
> a message about this. BBSes and online services are inherently vulnerable
> because there is a responsible person to persecute.

> What we need is a totally decentralized BBS. It would be something like
> running Usenet over UUCP.

Why not do just that? Many areas of the net transfer mail, and even newsfeeds
through UUCP. ERNet, which I'm connected to in India, had to use UUCP for
newsfeeds when their connectivity was at 9600 bps, 5 years ago.

UUCP doesn't need phone lines or direct connections; private sites could easily
hitch a ride on the Internet.

Fidonet users have been distributing their message bases worldwide for years.

Oh - there *is* a newsgroup, alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.children, which
would have been shut down if it were a BBS, and presumably cannot be traced to
individuals. I don't know if anything is ever posted to it, though.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                            "What is civilisation
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                             but a ribonucleic
Voicemail +91 11 3760335; Vox/Fax/Data 6853410      hangover?"
H-34C Saket New Delhi 110017 INDIA