1994-04-20 - The Herd Instinct & Response to Authority

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bbb96d1cc27afa0ad4b7de51ac4b9f2983cb6f166785bb7dcd24ac343b84bc58
Message ID: <9404200136.AA08012@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 19:35:21 PDT

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 19:35:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The Herd Instinct & Response to Authority

From: Tom Allard

"This shows that, in real situations, people will follow herd instincts
and obey orders."

Herd instincts:  of following together in large numbers, what the rest
of the cows are doing or go where the rest of the herd is headed.
The experiments on test subjects were done with individuals who were
not aware of what others were doing in the same situation, so they
could not have been imitating anyone's behavior.  So it was a
demonstration of something else, that being mostly their state of
ignorance, or their deficient knowledge (of morality, of pain, of the
meaning of what they see, hear, etc.).    I would suspect that this was
because they grew up without sufficient opportunity to exercise
independent judgement or develop their own self-directing abilities.

I think "herd instincts" are in the eyes of the beholder.

From Jeff Davis:  (from an earlier post)    "I am prone to action on instinct."
[so he said...]  "We better be DAMN careful who we put in authority in
this country."

Blanc

Thread