1994-04-30 - Secure Drive is now obsolete

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c0ec8bace6bb488b4c85fbda9514192ff6b16bdd3492bac5c84f2d52f50d0be0
Message ID: <01HBRTDS3EQ0935JW0@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Apr 94 00:58:27 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 94 00:58:27 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Secure Drive is now obsolete

Secure Drive, the disk encryption system written by me and improved by
Edgar Swank, has been completely rewritten by two programmers in the
Netherlands, Max Loewenthal and Arthur Helwig. I was not aware of this
until I saw the program yesterday.

They changed it to Secure Device. It still uses the IDEA algorithm, but
you no longer have to create a partition! Secure Device uses a file as a
phantom partition, like Stacker or inDiskreet. It has a .SYS driver of
about 6K. There is a login program, or you can use another TSR which does
a pop-up login prompt. There is also keyboard logout and time-delay logout.

Another advantage of Secure Device is ease of backup. You just backup the
container file onto your tape, and the data stays encrypted. Secure Device
includes source code and is copylefted.

FTP wuarchive.wustl.edu, /pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/cryptography/secdev11.arj.

--- Mike

Thread