1994-04-28 - Re: AT&T, Clipper, & Saudi Arabia

Header Data

From: smb@research.att.com
To: perobich@ingr.com
Message Hash: c4f1cc04420b81338f3928629d35399dc3e0bd677ae012c61d1f11bc7d8cdbe7
Message ID: <9404281459.AA22961@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 07:59:07 PDT

Raw message

From: smb@research.att.com
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 07:59:07 PDT
To: perobich@ingr.com
Subject: Re: AT&T, Clipper, & Saudi Arabia

	 Dear AT&T:

	 If you'll roll over for us on Clipper, we will suitably incentivize yo
	u.

	 /s/ The Clinton Administration

	 I suppose most of us would consider a $4B contract a "suitable
	 incentive." While there's probably no direct evidence of a quid pro
	 quo, it strikes me as a bit odd that the President is personally
	 intervening in a purely commercial deal.

	 OTOH this is the second time Clinton has intervened in a deal with the
	 Saudis. On the gripping hand, I don't recall anyone intervening to get
	 business for Boeing (Peace Shield, the Saudi C3I network), McDonnell
	 (F-15s), and so on.

Can we please confine paranoia to reasonable areas -- like AT&T's sales
of secure phones to the government?  The U.S. government has a very long
record of pushing American products against foreign competitors, such as
Boeing versus Airbus.

Of course, there is a quid pro quo here -- but it's Clinton reminding the
Saudis about Desert Storm.

		--Steve Bellovin

P.S.  It goes without saying that I'm speaking for myself, not AT&T.

Thread