1994-04-26 - Re: CU Crypto Session Sat

Header Data

From: dat@@.spock.ebt.com (David Taffs)
To: freeman@netcom.com
Message Hash: d70c54989e2e208a5dfbdb6dba9ab74c0ef4eead7e1a6a27dc5c2d06cbfe43d2
Message ID: <9404262122.AA01185@helpmann.ebt.com>
Reply To: <199404261538.IAA10897@netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-26 21:24:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 14:24:07 PDT

Raw message

From: dat@@.spock.ebt.com (David Taffs)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 14:24:07 PDT
To: freeman@netcom.com
Subject: Re: CU Crypto Session Sat

   Phil Karn comments on spy-satellite resolution:

   > [Technical argument with which I agree, leading to approximate one-foot
   >  resolution limit, deleted.]

   ... goes away fast at higher angular frequencies.  So all in all, I am inclined
   to think that the best ground resolution attainable with a 2-meter aperture
   from orbit is about an inch.  That is in fact just about enough to read a ...

     Of course, a possible way around this limit is to put up a larger,
   segmented mirror...

						   -- Jay Freeman

Could the same effect (as a segmented mirror) be achieved by taking multiple
pictures (from the same mirror) and processing them together? E.g. does
synthetic aperture radar actually produce higher resolution than achievable
from a single "snapshot"? If so, then this might work (at least for slow-moving
targets :-)...

Enchoiring Mimes Want to Know!

--
dat@ebt.com (David Taffs)