1994-04-11 - Re: identity, privacy, & anonymity in cyberspace

Header Data

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d71c750a65fd19f292808dd436f1675ce44e34b4a9f5f27497908131e4eccbba
Message ID: <9404110242.AA04774@bilbo.suite.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Apr 94 19:49:27 PDT

Raw message

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 94 19:49:27 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: identity, privacy, & anonymity in cyberspace

tmp@netcom.com writes/asks:

> yes, remailers solve the problem of trying to post
> messages without identity, but are we sure this is a
> `problem' we want to `solve'?

If this problem is not solved then all posts must contain a reference
to the poster's true identity.  Is that what you want,
tmp@netcom.com?  How would it be enforced?  Government approved
public-key pairs issued at birth?  Random identity checkpoints on the
Infobahn?  A ban on all un-approved cryptography?  Peer pressure?

> hal argues below that there is `no line dividing the clean
> from the unclean' (real name vs. pseudonymous vs.
> anonymous etc.).  to the contrary it seems to me to be the
> case that  either `i know who you are' or i don't. what does
> it mean for me to `know who you are'? i admit there is no
> basic definition, but it does seem to me that should not
> prevent us from trying to find one.

Instead of asking "who are you?", ask "what are you like?".  I don't
usually need to know who you are, but in certain contexts it is
important to know what you are like.  Further, I don't need to know
what you are like in all contexts.

Identity-based systems approach the "what are you like" question by
demanding to know "who you are", and then determining "what you are
like" by accessing various and sundry databases.  These various and
sundry databases are rapidly condensing into a few logical
mega-databases.  The problem with identity-based systems in which
everyone has only a single identity is that it soon becomes very easy
for someone to learn more about you than is necessary or desirable.

Cross-referencing is the root of all evil!  :-)

I think much of the technology advocated on this mailing list can
enable people to answer the important "what are you like" questions
without creating systems that can also be used to pry into your
entire life history.

> the important goal is `defining what privacy really
> means'

I agree it is an important goal.

> and cypherpunks seem to take the position, `it
> means that nobody knows anything about me'.

I disagree.  I think cypherpunks want to retain (or re-acquire) the
ability to control who knows what about them and when and under what
contexts.  This is a bit different from "nobody knows anything about
me".  However, I can't speak for all cypherpunks.

> our society simply cannot function under this constraint.

If by "our society" you mean the society in which we currently live,
I'd have to agree.  That does *not* mean I believe all possible
societies become impossible under this constraint.  Actually, I
believe "under this constraint" is a strawman (see previous
paragraph).

> if you continue to insist that `nobody should know who i
> am' i fear you will be bypassed by more sophisticated [?]
> groups that have a less polarized view of issues of
> identity and privacy. and it will ultimately be the least
> controversial proposals that will shape the future we
> live in.

Being a pessimist, I'll have to agree with you here, although for
slightly different reasons.  I believe that as long as there are
income and property taxes, the government will find ways to justify
prying into our personal lives.

Jim_Miller@suite.com

Thread