1994-04-28 - Re: DId you ever think…

Header Data

From: jpp@markv.com
To: Naught Thugs <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: deeecac87376aedb5deacb0c1cc1da5a2f108a17abda7b5e256025a9e0fbeef4
Message ID: <9404281429.ab03574@hermix.markv.com>
Reply To: <9404281910.AA15338@buoy.watson.ibm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-28 21:30:03 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 14:30:03 PDT

Raw message

From: jpp@markv.com
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 14:30:03 PDT
To: Naught Thugs <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: DId you ever think...

> From: uri@watson.ibm.com
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:10:39 -0500 (EDT)
>
> jpp@markv.com says:
> > Wasn't there some concern on IBM's part about liability --
> > Thus the US Governments participation, including the 'secret' changes
> > to DES?
>
> Liabilities? To who and about what? Since it became a standard, the
> US Gov't assumed the responsibility...

  Oh, for instance, say liability to the banks who's electronic fund
transfers were stolen or forged.  But yeah, my understanding was that
IBM wouldn't release the cipher for general consumption unless some
Gov't would 'standardize' it and take the liability heat.

  Even the smaller 56 bit key was IBM's idea?  Why!??!?  Weren't they
in the business of making a _strong_ cipher?

j'

Thread