1994-04-17 - RE: Warrantless searches – A sign of things to come?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ec30e038bb264b1e47a904256a5fc13136dda18318d3c2f6da498f9500d53e38
Message ID: <199404172108.AA05956@access3.digex.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Apr 94 14:09:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 94 14:09:05 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Warrantless searches -- A sign of things to come?

On Sun, 17 Apr 94 13:39:39
paul@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com (Paul Ferguson) wrote:

>A Page 1 story in The Washington Post Sunday (94.04.17) reads,
>"Clinton Lets Police Raid Projects," "Warrantless Searches Said to Be
>Needed For Tenants Safety."

[Deletions]

What really gets me here is the alienability of the rights in question.

One of the prevailing arguements seems to be "the tenants are willing
to sacrifice their rights for more safety."

This of course misreads the question.  If it were only a questions of
relinquishing your own rights then there are procedures for the
waiver and consent to search.  What drives me up the wall is some tenants
saying they are willing to waive their own rights for safety when what
they are really doing is waiving EVERYONES rights for their safety.

This is merely another load of whiskey for the toothache.
Bust down some doors and we will solve the nations problem of violence.

I have to hand it to the administration, they managed to divert the
attention of the media from the other major screw-ups and cast a
"fight the violence" spotlight on it.  At least this cluster-fuck is
(in the current atmosphere) defendable.

What a crock.

The ease with which this nation disregards its own fundamental principles
disturbs me.

-uni- (Dark)

Thread