1994-04-20 - Re: BEST Inc.

Header Data

From: SINCLAIR DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
To: sandfort@crl.com (Sandy Sandfort)
Message Hash: ee543f50aa4fd86b18068ed10a7cb2babb7e43626218ebf33a354094989ed121
Message ID: <94Apr19.203759edt.14786@cannon.ecf.toronto.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.3.87.9404191529.A24755-0100000@crl.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-20 00:38:14 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 17:38:14 PDT

Raw message

From: SINCLAIR  DOUGLAS N <sinclai@ecf.toronto.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 17:38:14 PDT
To: sandfort@crl.com (Sandy Sandfort)
Subject: Re: BEST Inc.

> Say, does anyone have a magnetic strip reader/writer?  It might have some
> intersting uses, don't you think?             ^^^^^^

A mag-strip may be copied from one card to another with a steady hand and
a dubbing tape deck.  I'd hazard instead one could read the data into
a computer via a sound card and edit it to taste.  Then drop it back on that
or another card by the same method.

This works for things like library photo-copy cards.  I don't know if others,
like bank cards, require a stronger field to write.  Also, there are probably
checksums or hashes on bank/ID cards.

Thread